From the Principal
From the Principal
My name is Angela Funaki and I have been working in education for 36 years. I have been at Dawson since 1988 in various roles and have been very privileged to be the Principal since 2007. What makes our school a successful one is that we have high expectations for both student behaviour and learning.
The focus is on improvement of student achievement through multiple learning opportunities and we have a well-resourced school to enable us to do this. At school our work is evidence based and we consistently reflect to identify success and the way forward. I enjoy working with the quality staff that care deeply for our students. I value the support of our Board of Trustees. I am passionate about working together with staff, students and parents to achieve our collective vision.
I welcome parents or the wider community to come and talk to me at any time.
Dawson is a U5 multicultural contributing school catering for Year 1 to Year 6. There are 320 pupils at the school.
We focus on the importance of student achievement through annually agreed evidence based student targets. Our aim is to create a learning environment where programmes are child centred and interactive, encouraging students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge to become life long learners. We encourage students to their full potential by learning in a supportive, positive and safe school environment that ensures academic, cultural and sporting achievement.
● To provide quality teaching and learning programmes to ensure that all students are able to access the NZ curriculum as evidenced by achievement
● To use assessment and reporting procedures using evidence based practice to support the learner, parents and whānau
● To provide learners with diverse needs a high quality programme enabling them to achieve against the key competencies and learning areas
● To provide for students so they are confident, connected, active, lifelong learners
● To provide an education where Maori and Pasifika students are engaged in their learning and achieve educational success through their identity, language and culture
● To uphold the school values
Together Wayfinders Achieve Mighty Adventures
Tika Whakawhanaunga Ahurutanga Manaakitanga Aroha